On behalf of the Staff and School Council of Athol Road Primary School [ARPS] welcome to our new responsive school website.
Over the past few years the school has worked diligently to transform Athol Road Primary School into a professional learning community where improving student learning is at the heart of every decision.
At Athol Road Primary School:
- everyone have a role to play in building a culture where people respect themselves, others and the community. Respect is a right but also a responsibility.
- the health of school community rests on the mutual trust, respect and understanding that exists within our members
- the environment is continually challenging, engaging and adaptive and innovation is fostered
- learning happens across all stages of life, in a variety of ways and encompasses formal and informal learning. Everyone has the ability to learn if they are provided with the opportunities and support required to be successful in their learning
I am very proud of the:
- dedicated staff, friendly students and very supportive parents
- great work teachers are doing in learning spaces to personalise learning at point of need
- vibrant specialist programs which provide students with opportunities to excel
- host of extra-curricular activities run by both teachers and external bodies which extend student learning beyond the classroom
- on-site Early Learning Centre where 3 and 4 year old kindergarten and playgroup operate
- excellent facilities – both buildings and grounds
I am confident that our students are developing as all-round, great people who can confidently face the future in the knowledge that ‘if they believe they can achieve, they will’.
If you are new to our school community I welcome you and trust that your association with our school will be a rewarding, memorable experience where your child enjoys purposeful and engaging learning as they form friendships which will endure for many years.
I am excited to continue the great work that is happening at Athol Road Primary School to ‘create a vibrant learning community where lives are transformed and individuals inspired to achieve beyond what they ever believed possible’.
Our door is always open, please feel free to come and chat to us. Your input is encouraged and welcomed.
The student population comprises over 30 different cultures. Over 80% of students do not speak English at home. The richly diverse multicultural community works together to create a well-resourced, orderly learning environment which caters for the needs of each individual and acknowledges and celebrates achievements. Cultural diversity flavours all school programs and provides a background for teaching tolerance.
The central focus for Athol Road Primary School is its students – their learning and well-being. Building supportive, caring relationships is the school’s core building block. Students are taught to work cooperatively with others, to think laterally, make their own decisions and be responsible for their own learning and behaviour.
The school strives to foster the potential talents of students by enriching their bodies, minds and creativity through a diverse range of extension activities that enhance the formal curriculum and challenge them to achieve excellence in a wide range of cultural, artistic and sporting activities both within the school and the wider community.
The school recognises the importance of the home/school relationship and encourages parent participation at a range of different levels. In cooperation with parents and the community, staff members establish high expectations for all students as the standard and provide a safe, supportive environment where students have the opportunity to become productive, knowledgeable and responsible citizens.
An Early Learning Centre – incorporating playgroups and an on-site kindergarten – provides a seamless transition to school and a strong link with the local community. Connections with community organisations provide important support for our school community.
Athol Road Primary School is a unique, diverse community of learners whose focus is on:
- building RESPECT
- encouraging INNOVATION
- valuing COMMUNITY
- setting HIGH EXPECTATIONS
This fosters a RICH learning environment in which each individual is challenged to grow emotionally, intellectually and socially to achieve their personal best. The belief that every child can learn is inherent in every decision the school makes.
The school’s richly diverse multicultural community works together to create a well-resourced, orderly learning environment which caters for the needs of each individual and acknowledges and celebrates achievements. Cultural diversity flavours all school programs and provides a background for teaching tolerance and respect.
Multi-skilled teachers, supported by strong leadership and a dedicated team of non-teaching staff, are committed to implementing a forward thinking, student focussed curriculum which is engaging, challenging and sustainable in order to equip students for the demands and opportunities of a changing society. What teachers think, what teachers do and what teachers believe, drives the school focus for continuous improvement. The school operates a model of sharing that builds capacity, within levels and across the school, to improve teacher knowledge, understandings, skills and practices to transform teaching through:
- collecting relevant data to explicitly drive teaching and learning
- building teacher professional learning on an individual and whole school level
- implementing a curriculum that is integrated and scaffolded to support student learning with a particular focus on oral language development to build strong literacy and numeracy skills
- sharing and transferring knowledge and good practice
The school acknowledges the importance of the home/school relationship and encourages parent participation at a range of different levels. Parents are encouraged to engage in – and participate in – the wide range of school activities organised on a regular basis.
An enthusiastic School Council and wider parent network are encouraged to participate in the decision-making process and facilitate effective communication throughout the community.
Athol Road Primary School – Every Minute Matters
Create a vibrant learning community where lives are transformed and individuals inspired to achieve beyond what they ever believed possible
Lead a professional learning community where collaboration, challenge and reflection builds capacity
Inspire and challenge every student to be active, eco-conscious, musical, bilingual and artistic
Provide students with the support needed to achieve their academic, social and personal goals
LEARNING SPACE LEADERS
Inspire staff to implement a forward thinking, student-focussed curriculum which is challenging and sustainable
Provide a caring, supportive environment which fosters the development of life skills and learning dispositions for all
Build a foundation that nurtures the development of curious, confident and resilient individuals
Inspire and support students to achieve their personal best, celebrating a love of life and learning, through engaging experiences
Develop confident risk takers who ask questions, think critically, achieve success and love learning
Engage and inspire students to become critical thinkers who are empowered as leaders of learning