On behalf of the Staff and School Council of Athol Road Primary School [ARPS] welcome to our new responsive school website.
Over the past few years the school has worked diligently to transform Athol Road Primary School into a professional learning community where improving student learning is at the heart of every decision.
At Athol Road Primary School:
- everyone have a role to play in building a culture where people respect themselves, others and the community. Respect is a right but also a responsibility.
- the health of school community rests on the mutual trust, respect and understanding that exists within our members
- the environment is continually challenging, engaging and adaptive and innovation is fostered
- learning happens across all stages of life, in a variety of ways and encompasses formal and informal learning. Everyone has the ability to learn if they are provided with the opportunities and support required to be successful in their learning
I am very proud of the:
- dedicated staff, friendly students and very supportive parents
- great work teachers are doing in learning spaces to personalise learning at point of need
- vibrant specialist programs which provide students with opportunities to excel
- host of extra-curricular activities run by both teachers and external bodies which extend student learning beyond the classroom
- on-site Early Learning Centre where 3 and 4 year old kindergarten and playgroup operate
- excellent facilities – both buildings and grounds
I am confident that our students are developing as all-round, great people who can confidently face the future in the knowledge that ‘if they believe they can achieve, they will’.
If you are new to our school community I welcome you and trust that your association with our school will be a rewarding, memorable experience where your child enjoys purposeful and engaging learning as they form friendships which will endure for many years.
I am excited to continue the great work that is happening at Athol Road Primary School to ‘create a vibrant learning community where lives are transformed and individuals inspired to achieve beyond what they ever believed possible’.
Our door is always open, please feel free to come and chat to us. Your input is encouraged and welcomed.
Athol Road Primary School has a current enrolment of 389 students, comprising over 30 different cultures with approximately 80% of students who do not speak English at home. The school is a unique, diverse community of learners with a focus on the RICH school values of building RESPECT, encouraging INNOVATION, valuing COMMUNITY and setting HIGH EXPECTATIONS. The school’s richly diverse multicultural community works together to create a well-resourced, orderly learning environment which caters for the needs of each individual and acknowledges and celebrates achievements. Cultural diversity flavours all school programs and provides a background for teaching tolerance and respect. Each individual is challenged to grow emotionally, intellectually and socially to achieve their personal best.
Professional Learning Community
The school operates as a Professional Learning Community with a commitment to continuous improvement. Teachers work collaboratively with a focus on improving improve student learning outcomes. Teachers are highly dedicated and have a collective commitment to all students. Personalized Learning underpins the teaching and learning whereby the individual needs, interests and learning styles of all students are at the centre of every decision made.
The school strongly believes the emotional and physical wellbeing of students is pivotal to their success at school and in their future lives. Students are better prepared for learning when they are healthy, safe and happy. At Athol Road Primary School student welfare is the responsibility of all staff who deliver a whole school approach to student health and wellbeing. In addition, specialised support staff work with students and families to support the diverse needs of the community. The building of supportive caring relationships which fosters a strong sense of connectedness and belonging is central to every aspect of school life.
Student Learning and Engagement
Multi-skilled teachers, supported by strong leadership and a dedicated team of non-teaching staff, are committed to implementing a forward thinking, student focused curriculum which is engaging, challenging and sustainable. The curriculum is designed to foster curiosity and develop higher order thinking which allows students to solve problems, gain understanding and discover new meanings. Student Voice, Agency and Leadership is integrated in all aspects of student learning and the school environment. All students are valued and acknowledged as having unique perspectives on learning, teaching and schooling. Students are provided with opportunities to express their ideas and thoughts and actively shape their own education. Athol Road Primary School fosters the potential talents of its students by enriching their bodies, minds and creativity through a diverse range of learning experiences and opportunities:
- Environmental Education with a focus on Sustainability
- Physical Education, Interschool Sports, Athletics and Swimming
- Performing Arts, Senior and Junior Choirs, School Concert, Wakakirri
- Visual Arts incorporating Digital Media
- LOTE: Mandarin
- STEM: Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics
- 1:1 Chrome Books, iPads and notebooks
- Robotics and Coding
- Out of School Hours Care
- Breakfast Club
The Early Learning Centre
The Athol Road Primary School Early Learning Centre provides a seamless transition to school and a strong link with the local community. It is located on the school site and caters for over 100 children each week in:
- A 5 star playgroup program focusing on the development of self-confidence through experiences that stimulate the senses, develop fine and gross motor skills and facilitate the development of emerging language and social skills
- 3 and 4 year old kindergarten programs where children are supported in building self-esteem, confidence and a positive attitude to learning through an indoor, outdoor play based program which allows them to explore and experience success
Athol Road Primary School is a unique, diverse community of learners whose focus on:
- building Respect
- encouraging Innovation
- valuing Community
- setting High Expectations
fosters a RICH learning environment where each individual is challenged to grow emotionally, intellectually and socially to achieve their personal best. The belief that every child can learn is inherent in every decision the school makes.
The building of supportive, caring relationships is the school’s core building block and central to every aspect of school life. Every person involved in the school has a responsibility to understand the specific role they play individually and collectively to ensure that the wellbeing and safety of all children and young people is at the forefront of every decision made, with particular attention paid to the cultural safety of Aboriginal children, children from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds and children with disabilities. The school has zero tolerance for child abuse and is committed to providing a child safe environment where young people feel safe and their voices are heard about decisions that affect their lives.
Students are taught to work cooperatively with others, to think laterally, make their own decisions and be responsible for their own learning and behaviour. The embedding of school values is supported by GR8 People.
The school’s multicultural community works together to create a well-resourced, orderly learning environment which caters for the needs of each individual and acknowledges and celebrates achievements. Cultural diversity favours all school programs and provides a background for teaching tolerance and respect.
Multi-skilled teachers, supported by strong leadership and a dedicated team of non-teaching staff, are committed to implementing a forward thinking, student focussed curriculum which is engaging, challenging and sustainable in order to equip students for the demands and opportunities of a changing society. What teachers think, what teachers do and what teachers are, at the classroom level, drives the school focus for continuous improvement. The school operates a model of sharing that builds capacity, within levels and across the school, to improve teacher knowledge, understandings, skills and practices to transform teaching through:
- collecting relevant data to explicitly drive teaching
- building teacher professional learning on an individual and whole school level
- implementing a curriculum that is integrated and scaffolded to support student learning with a particular focus on oral language development to build strong literacy and numeracy skills
- sharing and transferring knowledge and good practice
The school strives to foster the potential of our students by enriching their bodies, minds and creativity through a diverse range of extension activities that enhance the formal curriculum and challenge students to achieve excellence in a wide range of cultural and sporting activities.
The school recognises the importance of the home/school relationship and encourages parent participation. In co-operation with parents and the community, staff members establish high expectations for all students as the standard and provide a safe, supportive environment where students have the opportunity to become productive, knowledgeable and responsible citizens. Multicultural ethnic aides and interpreters are used extensively to maximise participation.
An enthusiastic School Council and wider parent network are encouraged to participate in the decision-making process and facilitate effective communication throughout the community.